Minutes 4-20-09

Association for Rural and Small Libraries Board of Directors Meeting
Monday, April 20, 2009
10:00 a.m. – Noon Pacific; 11:00 a.m. – 1 p.m. Mountain; Noon – 2:00 p.m. Central; 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. Eastern
via WebJunction Wimba Classroom
Minutes submitted by Andrea Berstler
Present – Carla Lehn, Patty Hector, Andrea Berstler, Larry Grieco, Rose Chenoweth, Don Reynolds, Timothy Owens, Steve Seale, Lynette Sloan, Sonja Plummer-Morgan, Chrystie Hill.
Welcome and Call to Order
Rose welcomed Chrystie – gave the board a short introduction to Chrystie. “Chrystie Hill describes herself as a librarian, writer, community builder and professional Pollyanna. She runs ItGirlConsulting which helps libraries use online tools to build communities online. She is a 2007 LJ Mover and Shaker. Her blog is Libraries Build Communities. She is the Director of Community Services with WebJunction where she has worked since 2003.” Chrystie offered to answer questions.
Consent Agenda
Motion to approve consent agenda – Larry. Second – Timothy. Motioned carried – unanimous.
Executive Committee Report
Exec Committee met March 11, 2009 – most of the meeting was on the Conference Hotel Contract – it was approved & signed.
Don Reynolds gave a report on the status of the ARSL Logo– no word on this so far
Programs and Publications Committee Report
ARSL’s ALA Program – Description and Expenditures: Only for Passionate Librarians – Program for ALA – meeting for presenters planned for next week. Presentation is on Sat 7/11 3:30 – 5:30. As an affiliate member we must pay for all of our own equipment – needs to be added to the budget. Cost for Chicago will be high – projector etc. – equipment pricing as described in document – ALA & AV Equipment and Pricing PDF – on Google groups. Rose requested approval for equipment. – Rose motioned – Get an LCD projection, a screen and 2 mics – overall price $1100 to $1200. Steve offered to bring a projector to ALA program to reduce the cost. Amended motion – Rose is asking for funds to cover the cost of a screen and two mics with the understanding that we will be billed for labor and tax after the fact. Second – Larry. Vote taken – Unanimous approval
WJ website meeting results:
o WJ Blog * (Chrystie Hill) – Chrystie wanted to show a screen shot of the blog page but was unable to. Jim had some things started. This blog space is provided by WJ. Blog has old WJ brand. There are a few sample posts, but nothing with real content. The plan is to have several board members who would be posting to the blog regularly (weekly) to keep the blog simple and streamlined. Possible posters would include past and current president, pres elect, committee chairs for conference, marketing, membership and publications. Plan is to use this to get news out quickly.
o WJ Newsletter Update (Chrystie Hill) – The newsletter is to be an update to the rural and small library staff that have affiliated with community of practice on WJ – more than 6000 subscribed at this time. Use to connect to intentionally and regularly connect with this group. Since the rural library sustainability project has moved, the newsletter will be brought back. Is periodic; they will try to make bi-monthly if possible. Will take input from publications committee to insert a regular column so the ARSL board has a space to use to make sure that the WJ list is reached with information. To reach the WJ pub list, send information to Rose or Chrystie to be included in update.
Committee report is In Google Groups – -**PP326Minutes and BCR stats – Shown in a Spreadsheet that made the information helpful.
Conference Committee Report
Working on the meals – proposals are coming in for programs. Hope to have everything in by May 1. Committee – can we do Conference call on Thursday or Friday of this week? Questions? What is the status on deadlines? Still taking proposals due to deadline issues and ARSL BCR listserve. Due to delay in getting proposals up will take them through end of the week. A recommendation was made to use Crowspring.com to accept proposals for conference. Larry asked about table talks/poster sessions. May be added to idea fair but no information has been released for these yet. This information will be on the ARSL listserv.
Marketing and Partnerships Committee
Timothy Owens reported on National Bookmobile Day letter of support; this information & letter is posted on Google Groups. Timothy gave brief history of letter, and posted it on google groups.
CPSIA response – asked to prepare a letter, however there is behind the scenes work in Congress. Recommendation that we hold off letters for now but to create a “hot topics” section in WJ on this and on hard times in libraries.
COSLA letter – Sent to Susan Devay – president. Letter requests that members do 3 things 1: that each state library designate a rural library division/committee for ARSL 2: that they become institutional members and 3: that they support through scholarships they support attendance to the TN conference. Mailed April 1, 2009 (COSLA meets in May). Timothy will follow up. Conference committee will need to address that the conference purpose matches the 6 goals for MLIS/LSTA and also the state’s goals. Some of these programs are being cut at the state level.
Broadband statement – preparing a statement for small libraries. Ken was asked to draft a letter.
Membership Development Committee
Sonja Plummer Morgan reported on progress on information updates. She is working on refining letter to new members, also on increasing amount of new members and is working on getting links corrected.
o Facebook, Twitter recruitment strategies – have been sending out info on Twitter, have approximately 100 on twitter and almost 300 on Facebook. Conference information is loaded on Facebook. Hoping it will increase actual membership.
Questions arouse regarding the number of ARSL members? Maybe useful for board to know what areas we have subscribers? How does that compare to membership? Membership info would have to come from BCR and this report should be sent to Sonja monthly. Carla stated that a list of membership should be sent to committee chair monthly. Sonja will check with Cheri at BCR.
Discussion took place on what are the top ways that people connect with ARSL, looking at the raw numbers of how many people are using the social networking sites. Sonja has combined several groups in Second Life to send out notices about events. Discussion took place; it may be time to draw some analysis on who is using which sites and how many members are using these other sites, besides the listserv. WJ is tracking sites where people are “referred” from. Chrystie offered to look for this info on ARSL site.
By Laws Task Force Report
Andrea reported on ex-officio board members and their responsibilities/privileges and a motion was made to change Section 5, article 1 of the bylaws and take it to the membership at the annual meeting during the Sept conference. Don – Motion – Rose – second. Vote – 6 yes – 2 nay, 1 no vote.
Nominating Committee Report
The committee is asking for “self nomination” from the ARSL listserv including a statement and a photo that will appear on the ballot. Names for nomination can be sent to Carolyn Ashcraft so the form can be sent. Committee looks over several factors to consider proposed board members.
Identify documents from today to be posted to Webjunction/arsl
Patty is considering switching from Google Groups to Google Docs because of organizational issues. She will be moving some files over from groups to docs.
Next Meeting – Monday, June 15, 2009
Meeting Adjourned.

 

PRINT

Leave a Reply