Today’s Date: 04/10/2013
Job Closing Date: 04/19/2013
Job Title: Librarian/Library Director
Anticipated hours per week: 40
Institution Lake Elmo Public Library
Library Location: 3637 Lake Elmo Ave. N.Lake Elmo, MN 55042
Website (if applicable): lakeelmopubliclibrary.org
Duties / Job description: SUMMARY OF POSITION: This forty hour a week position requires hands-on day to day management of the Lake Elmo Public Library under the direction of the Library Board through its five committees, which are: Technology and Collection, Outreach and Programming, Facilities, Personnel and Volunteer Coordination, and Finance. As the only employee, the Librarian/Director will collaborate with each of the committees and the volunteer staff to meet the needs of the patrons.
1. Keep accurate records of expenditures and income from donations and other sources.
2. Manage library funds with the assistance of the Finance Committee.
3. Manage and organize existing collection and plan acquisitions with the assistance of the Technology and Collection Committee.
4. Plan programs and activities with the assistance of the Outreach Committee.
5. Promote library services by speaking to community groups, including schools and business groups with the assistance of the Outreach Committee.
6. Plan for facility needs with the assistance of the Facilities Committee.
7. Collaborate with Personnel and Volunteer Coordination Committee to supervise and train volunteers.
8. Prepare written reports for Lake Elmo Public Library board meetings.
9. Attend all open Lake Elmo Public Library board meetings.
10. Advise board about the need for professional memberships and attendance of continuing education seminars and workshops for updating skills.
11. Work directly with patrons in the library and at the circulation desk on a regular basis.
12. Maintain positive relations with patrons and users of the library rooms.
13. Keep statistics for the required Minnesota annual reporting and prepare report in accordance with state guidelines.
14. Inform and advise the library board as to local, regional, state and national developments in the library field.
15. Maintain communications with other libraries in the area.
16. Prepare grant applications when opportunities are offered.
1. Ability to communicate ideas and information in both verbal and written forms.
2. Ability to organize, maintain records, plan and direct services.
3. Ability to understand financial operations and understand and plan budgets.
4. Ability to understand and operate library equipment, including copy machine, fax, computer, Nooks, Kindles and other e-books.
5. Ability to maintain records on Koha ( open source integrated library system), maintain a knowledge about Internet resources, and other electronic databases
6. Ability to work with volunteers and community on a pleasant and respectful basis.
7. Ability to utilize volunteers to accomplish the goals of the Library Board.
8. Ability to learn new processes and procedures.
9. Ability to analyze and implement library programs.
EXAMPLES OF EQUIPMENT USED: Books, library materials, step stools, ladders, basic audio/video and computer equipment, general office equipment and machines, library systems including check in and out systems, surveillance systems. HOURS: Forty hours a week with some extended hours, evenings, and weekends.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: 100% indoor work. Low hazard environment. Frequent work with the public and volunteer staff.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: can involve, but are not limited to:
• Sit, stand, walk or move about frequently inside on even and elevated flooring.
• Lift and carry objects or materials that may be up to 20 pounds occasionally.
• Push/pull objects 20 to 50 pounds using wheeled book cart frequently.
• Bend/squat/stoop/ or kneel while working as low as ground level to access shelving or materials.
• Climb & balance on ladders, step stools, or stairs occasionally.
• Stretch, reach, handle, and grasp materials frequently.
• Use hands, fingers, and arms to safely operate vehicle and equipment, loading/unloading materials, turn pages of books, type.
• Operation of foot and hand controls.
Seeing, Reading, Smell, and Hearing:
• See, read and understand English language in written information, instructions, and safety warnings in all forms, including handwritten, hard copy, and electronic format.
• Smelling and feeling in order to identify damaged materials.
• See near, far, depth of vision, and color for designing web pages, presentations, and reading.
Mental acuity and alertness:
• Think and apply judgment, discretion, and initiative in accomplishing work.
• Ability to do arithmetic.
• Ability to write.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Direction and evaluations done by Personnel Committee of the Lake Elmo Library Board. Evaluations to be based on areas of the job description with added specific duties. SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Daily coordination of volunteer duties.
Qualifications: Qualifications: Minimum: Four year degree with at least five years of library experience including cataloging, managing budgets, programming for children and adults, and working with electronic resources.
Highly Desired: MLS degree with at least five years experience in all aspects of librarianship.
Will out of state candidates be considered?
Salary Range: DOQ
How to apply? Send Resume with names of at least three references that we may contact. At least one reference must be job related.
In your cover letter, please let us know why you would like to work at the Lake Elmo Public Library.
SEND RESUME TO:
3025 Lake Elmo Avenue North
Lake Elmo, Minnesota. 55042
To post job openings, please see Job Submissions.