Today’s Date: 06/26/2013
Job Closing Date: 07/26/2013
Job Title: Assistant Librarian/Youth Services Coordinator
Anticipated hours per week: Full Time
Institution Lopez Island Library
Library Location: 2225 Fisherman Bay Road, Lopez Island, WA 98261
Website (if applicable): http://lopezlibrary.org
Duties / Job description: JOB DESCRIPTION: Full-time vacancy available for an energetic, team-oriented Assistant Librarian/Youth Services Coordinator with a strong public service commitment and enthusiasm for serving a diverse island community. Creativity, enthusiasm for working with teens, and strong problem-solving skills are critical. Our ideal candidate is detail-orientated, task-focused and comfortable working with both print and electronic library resources.
• Provides direct assistance to patrons with basic information regarding use of library materials, equipment, and services.
• Catalogs new library materials and maintains ILS records in KOHA.
• Maintains and cultivates contact with parents and other family members, the public, schools, teachers, other libraries, state and regional library associations, and other professional organizations.
• Initiates, plans, and conducts a variety of programs and activities to encourage the use of the library by young adults between the ages of 12 and 18, including but not limited to films and special events, marketing, collection development, reading clubs, and school and community outreach.
• Creates promotional materials, as needed.
• Attends professional library conferences, seminars, and network committees; reads professional literature; attends and participates in staff meeting discussions.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: EDUCATION/QUALIFICATIONS (REQUIRED):
• Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program desired or relevant experience.
• One year of professional experience in a library setting, with a strong preference given to applicants with cataloging course work and hands-on experience in processing library materials.
• Experience with young adults (ages 12 to 18)
• Knowledge of recreational and educational needs of young adults.
• Ability to translate young adult needs and interests into effective library services and programs.
• Knowledge of current trends in library services for young adults and young adult literature and other materials for youth.
• Knowledge of standard library cataloging procedures, current information technology, basic HTML, Internet and database search capabilities.
• Communicates well with others, orally and in writing.
• Ability to create marketing materials and use social media to promote library services and events
• Demonstrated proficiency using hardware and software often found in modern libraries and office settings such as scanners, printers, videoconferencing equipment, projectors, & mobile devices (such e-readers and tablets)
• Current user of social media such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. services.
• Must be able to lift and carry bags of books or boxes weighing up to 20 pounds.
• Must be able to speak distinctly to groups.
• Must be available to work weekends or evening shifts if required.
• Must possess physical mobility involving bending, lifting, reading, hearing.
Will out of state candidates be considered? Yes
Salary Range: $38,000-$43,000, plus excellent benefits.
How to apply? Send a letter of interest, including resume and names and contact information for three professional references should be sent to the following address:
Lou Pray, Library Director
Lopez Island Library District
P.O. Box 770
Lopez Island, WA 98261
Or electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org by
July 26, 2013.
Equal Opportunity Employer
To post job openings, please see Job Submissions.