Today’s Date: 08/21/2013
Job Closing Date: 09/30/2013
Job Title: Library Director
Institution Columbia County Rural Library District
Library Location: Dayton, Washington
Website (if applicable): ccrld.lib.wa.us
Duties / Job description:
POSITION DESCRIPTION SUMMARY:
This position reports to the Columbia County Rural Library District Board of
Trustees, (a five-member board appointed by the Commissioners), and is responsible for the administration, planning, and operation of the Columbia County Rural Library District in a manner consistent with the Library District’s mission, vision, and values.
Results statements are essential functions or duties listed below and are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position of the work if similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The function in each category is broken down to what will be required. “Accomplish related duties as assigned” apply to all categories.
A. Provides administrative services to Columbia County Rural Library District operations by:
1. Assist Board of Trustees in developing and updating the District’s strategic plan
2. Administer and perform duties associated with planning, writing, and implementing policies established by the Board of Trustees interpreting and communicating Board policies to library staff and community.
3. Establish procedures to guide the library staff based on the library’s goals and objectives.
4. Develop creative plans of action and use initiative and independent judgment to carry plans to successful completion.
5. Responsible for maintaining library staff by demonstrating leadership ability that practices skills and behaviors that support the personal growth of CCRLD staff in his/her respective job.
6. Analyze, research, develop, and implement Board-approved programs for new or revised services and facilities, which are responsible for changing service area needs.
7. Maintain and enhance the organization’s Human Resources by planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programs and practices.
8. Perform other duties as may be directed by the Board of Trustees to support the District’s mission and vision.
B. Achieve financial objectives by:
1. Manage available resources to achieve District’s mission, vision, and values in conjunction with strategic plan goals and objectives.
2. Analyze financial needs, prepares budget, and oversees budget administration.
3. Analyze opportunities for writing grant proposals.
C. Contributes to team effort by:
1. Model a management attitude and lead action, which encourages staff and Board members to see library as a consumer-directed service organization.
2. Inspire consensus team building and collaborative problem solving.
D. Building, organizes, and explains collection by:
1. Establish and/or revise collection development policies and practices.
2. Select, recommend, and order reference and circulation resources directly or through the support of paraprofessional staff.
3. Classify and catalog materials directly or through the support of paraprofessional staff.
4. Provide professional reference and readers’ advisory services directly to users or through the support of paraprofessional staff.
E. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by:
1. Attend educational workshops, conferences and/or academic classes.
2. Review professional journals.
3. Evaluate library services and current trends in library service, including management, library automation, information retrieval technologies, computer software programs, and collection development.
F. Maintains relationship with others by:
1. Develop and maintain working relationships with local officials, Library Board, Friends Group, and other community agencies.
2. Build strategic partnerships and community coalitions and foster positive relationships, especially in a rural setting.
3. Participate in the activities of relevant professional library organizations.
4. Represent the Library District in civic and community organizations.
G. Maintains safe and healthful environment by:
1. Promote a safe library environment for staff and patrons by developing and enforcing safety systems policies and procedures.
2. Comply with federal, state, and local safety regulations by studying existing and new legislation.
3. Be aware of physical structure of library building and repair/maintenance that the building may need.
H. Working environment:
1. Public service to one community library handling multiple tasks with continual interruptions.
2. Part of a library team.
3. Normal office and public library environment, covering circulation desk as need arises.
4. Travel in rural areas as needed for operation of a small rural county library.
I. Physical demands:
1. Position requires continuous standing, frequent sitting, walking, bending, reaching, handling, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions of hands/wrists.
2. Specific vision abilities required to do this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
3. Ability to hear and speak with patrons, staff, and telephone callers.
4. Ability to use keyboard and to view computer monitor for extended periods.
5. Ability to check in library materials using an automated circulation system.
6. Ability to travel to area libraries and other locations inside and outside the District.
7. Ability to lift and carry at least 30 pounds.
8. Ability to push and pull 100 pound carts.
This job description is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions and responsibilities that comprise this position.
Please let us know if you need any accommodation to apply or interview for this position.
June 28, 2013 adopted
Revised August 19, 2013
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an accredited graduate library program preferred.
• In the absence of an MLS will consider applicants with library management experience.
Will out of state candidates be considered?
Salary Range: $43,476 per year – $47,136 per year, plus benefits and depending on experience.
How to apply? More information and application packets are available at http://www.ccrld.lib.wa.us/index.php/employment.
Packets are also available at the library
Columbia County Rural Library District
Dayton Memorial Library
111 S 3rd
PO Box 74
Dayton, Wa 99328
To post job openings, please see Job Submissions.