Today’s Date: 08/15/2013
Job Closing Date: 09/15/2013
Job Title: Metadata Librarian
Institution South Carolina State Library
Library Location: Columbia, SC
Website (if applicable): www.statelibrary.sc.gov
Duties / Job description: This is a professional library position with responsibility for providing leadership and coordination of non-MARC metadata in support of our digital collections. This position will collaborate with the digital collections project manager and other staff to develop effective policies and production workflows for managing the metadata for several digital projects at the library.
• Collaborates closely with key staff to create and maintain appropriate descriptive, technical, and structural metadata schemas for digitized and born-digital content managed by the library.
• Catalogs digital objects and metadata using non-MARC metadata schema to provide access to resources through a DSpace digital management system.
• Creates and maintains documentation on workflows and best practices for digitization and metadata projects. Meets regularly with digital collections project manager to communicate workflow updates.
• Evaluates, recommends, and applies quality control measures for metadata operations.
• Updates traditional cataloging in Evergreen consortial catalog, including possible authority work.
• Keeps abreast of new trends, tools, issues, and opportunities and their impact on metadata standards.
• Trains staff and student interns engaged in related work. Monitors workflow and deadlines.
A bachelor’s degree in library science, information science or related field and experience in library systems and operations.
A Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program and at least one year of professional library experience. Demonstrated experience with creating and applying metadata standards to describe digital objects using DSpace or other digital management system. Experience with both non-MARC metadata schemas (i.e., Dublin Core, MODS, METS, EAD) and with traditional cataloging standards (i.e., MARC, AACR2, RDA, and LCSH).
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Knowledge of the basic principles of professional library practices and techniques, especially in technical services, cataloging, subject analysis, classification, and authority control.
• Ability to organize time effectively to manage a variety of projects simultaneously; ability to communicate effectively with colleagues.
• Experience with various types of file formats and software.
• Excellent communications skills and computer skills.
Salary Range: $31,182 – $57,695
How to apply? Apply online at www.jobs.sc.gov
To post job openings, please see Job Submissions.