Today’s Date: 04/02/2014
Job Closing Date: 04/25/2014
Job Title: Assistant Library Director
Anticipated hours per week: Full Time
Institution North Liberty Community Library
Library Location: North Liberty, IA
Website (if applicable): www.northlibertylibrary.org
Duties / Job description: Overview
Under the general supervision of Library Director, assist in planning and directing the operations and activities of the library within the policies, procedures and practices established by the Library Board of Trustees. Involves working with community and City leaders, public speaking and high level or responsibility for decision-making regarding day-to-day library operations. This position includes acting in the capacity of director in director’s absence. Performs front line tasks related to circulation of library materials and patron customer service including but not limited to readers’ advisory and helping patrons locate library materials; provides consistent, courteous and sincere customer service to patrons and library staff at all times.
Direct supervision of activities of library staff and supervision of the work of all library staff and volunteers in carrying out assigned duties and library operations; including hiring, evaluation and discipline of support staff.
Essential Functions and Duties
Include but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
• Assist Library Director in the management of the total library program within the framework of the library board plans, policies and budget.
• Hire, evaluate and discipline support staff.
• Supervise library staff and the training of new staff.
• Provide leadership and management to Library sub-departments.
• Aid in writing and maintaining library policies and procedures as pertains to library operations.
• Provide written reports to Library Board each month.
• Seek partnerships with area agencies, businesses and organizations through active involvement and marketing of the library.
• Seek appropriate grant and funding opportunities to supplement library budget as appropriate.
• Attend civic meetings to speak on or discuss upcoming and ongoing events concerning the library.
• Keep current through professional development and literature to evaluate trends and innovations in library services.
• Assists with evaluating library needs and formulating short and long range plans to meet them, including budget development and facilities planning.
• Attends library board meetings, city council meetings and other city management meetings as assigned or in absence of director.
• Oversee weekly budget and billing practices.
• Participate in area, state and national library associations and activities.
• Participate in City-related events and committees including providing assistance to City staff and departments as needed
• Work directly with Technology Services Librarian on development and maintenance of library technology and automation.
• Aid in development of annual in-service training program for library staff and volunteers, working with Circulation Services Librarian on content.
Position requires light work with the ability to lift up to 20 pounds. Climbing, pulling, kneeling, stooping, fingering, crawling, crouching, feeling, standing, reaching, hearing, pushing, walking, balancing, lifting, grasping, talking, and repetitive motion is required on a regular basis. Visual and aural perception must be sufficient to operate a variety of office equipment and to communicate effectively with members of the public. Must be functionally literate in written and spoken English and be able to follow written and oral instructions. Position requires exposure to inside environmental conditions. This job description is not the complete statement of every task and responsibility that is required of this position. It contains the major duties performed by an individual and may require assistance with other tasks as necessary.
Education, Experience and Skills
Bachelor’s degree in any applicable field of study; 5-years equivalent work experience, including two or more years supervisory experience in the library field; administrative experience; any combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Knowledge of current library trends in all areas of library operation. Ability to relate well to a variety of people; ability to adapt in difficult situations; knowledge of information technology and library automation; ability to work a variety of hours; ability to stimulate interest in the concerns and resources of the library; ability to express clearly and concisely both orally and in writing to groups and individuals; ability to organize, assign and supervise the work of staff and volunteers; ability to interpret library policy.
Licenses and Certifications:
Obtain Iowa Public Library Certification within one year of hire or as courses are available; maintain Iowa Public Library Certification. Membership in professional organizations.
Will out of state candidates be considered? Yes
Salary Range: $52,250 – 56,100
How to apply? The City of North Liberty is seeking a creative, dynamic individual for the position of Assistant Library Director for the North Liberty Community Library. Position requires a bachelor’s degree in any applicable field of study and a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in library management. The successful applicant should have public speaking experience and be comfortable working and interacting with the general public in addition to being self-motivated, organized and outgoing. Applicant must possess budgetary knowledge and knowledge of current library trends in all areas of library operation and have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of groups and individuals. Salary range $52,250 – $56,100, commensurate to experience. Excellent benefit package. Post-offer physical, drug screen and background screen required. Submit resume, cover letter and three professional references to Jennie Garner, Library Director, 520 W Cherry St., P.O. Box 320, North Liberty, IA 52317 by 4:00PM, Friday, April 25, 2014. EOE. Resumes may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE: Out of state candidates would be considered but no travel expenses are included in application process.
To post job openings, please see Job Submissions.