“The Voice of Small & Rural Libraries”
The Association for Rural & Small Libraries, Inc. is a network of persons throughout the country dedicated to the positive growth and development of libraries. ARSL believes in the value of rural and small libraries and strives to create resources and services that address national, state, and local priorities for libraries situated in rural communities. Though not entirely comprehensive, in addition to the Mission and Objectives, ARSL serves membership and constituents in the following ways:
- Develops a place to join in the conversation about rural and small libraries
- Gives a unique rural and small perspective and expand the reach and access to information
- Offers opportunities to exchange ideas online and in person with each other
- Maintains a members-only listserv where meaningful discussion can take place
- Provides forums for rural blogs and other social networking sites as part of our resources
- Shares successes, stories, challenges and ways to solve barriers to access unique to the sustainability of rural librarianship
- Creates sample policies relevant to your community library
- Plans an annual rural & small conference catered specifically to the perceived needs of rural librarians
- Increases recognition, awareness, and visibility for rural librarians
- Act as a liaison between librarians and legislative matters and advocate on behalf of rural libraries
- Offers scholarships to ARSL conferences
- Partners with State and local organizations to strengthen relationships
As the premier organization representing rural and small libraries, ARSL recognizes the uniqueness of small and rural libraries and is committed to providing an environment that encourages excellence within this community of practice, supporting their goals of service and speaking on behalf of this important constituency.
The Association for Rural & Small Libraries provides resources and support that empower those in small and rural libraries to deliver excellent service for their communities.
- To organize a network of members concerned about the growth and development of useful library services in rural and small libraries;
- To provide opportunities for the continuing education of members;
- To provide mechanisms for members to exchange ideas and to meet on a regular basis;
- To cultivate the practice of librarianship and to foster a spirit of cooperation among members of the profession, enabling them to act together for mutual goals;
- To serve as a source of current information about trends, issues, and strategies;
- To partner with other library and non-library groups and organizations serving rural and small library communities;
- To collect and disseminate information and resources that are critical to this network;
- To advocate for rural and small libraries at the local, state, and national levels.
The eight highlighted leaves in the tree of our logo represent the eight central objectives of our association. In order to grow, thrive and be who our members need us to be, we strive to accomplish these objectives.
If you would like to order brochures and/or conference badge ribbons to share at your state/regional conference, we will soon be ready to accommodate you. Please email your request (along with desired quantity, delivery date, and address) to committee chair, Tena Hanson atcarolyn.petersen(at)sos.wa.gov. Please also feel free to use these About ARSL Slides to help promote the association at your local events or information booth.