ARSL Conference Scholarships
- About ARSL Conference Scholarships
- Past Conference Scholarship Winners
- State Library Agency Scholarships
About ARSL Conference Scholarships
The Association for Rural and Small Libraries currently offers three annual conference scholarships to promote the organization and the conference. They are the Dr. Bernard Vavrek Scholarship, the Founders Scholarship, and the Ken Davenport Scholarship.
Dr. Bernard Vavrek Scholarship
The Dr. Bernard Vavrek Scholarship will go to a current Library and Information Science student. It includes conference registration, hotel accommodations for three nights, $500 stipend and a free one-year membership in ARSL.
Founders Scholarship & Ken Davenport Scholarship
The Founders Scholarship and the Ken Davenport scholarship will go to a current library professional. They include conference registration, hotel accommodations for three nights, a $500 stipend and a free one-year membership in ARSL. The definition of a “Library Professional” is a library staff member working in a small and/or rural library. A degree or certification is not required.
Candidates do not need to be members of ARSL, however membership is encouraged.
Candidates for any scholarship should complete an application form which can be found here: Application for 2014 ARSL Conference Scholarship.
The Conference Scholarship Committee selects winners based on need, a desire to serve the small and rural community, an established pattern of working within the community, and willingness and ability to network and share what they have learned at the conference with their peers.
These scholarships are for first time attendees only so the applicants should not have attended a previous ARSL conference. Winners are required to write a short blog entry on the ARSL website to talk about the conference experience and are asked to serve as a member of the ARSL scholarship committee the following year.
Application deadline is 5:00 pm on June 15, 2014. Applications must be submitted by that time to be considered. Scholarship winners will be announced by July 21.
Past Conference Scholarship Winners
ARSL Conference Scholarship Winners for 2013
- Bernard Vavrek Scholarship: Michele Lawrence, Student at the University of Alabama and library assistant at North Suffolk Public Library
- Founders Scholarship: Kathy Hale, Director, Savonburg Public Library
- Ken Davenport Scholarship: Jennifer Milligan, Director, Sherrill-Kenwood Free Library
ARSL Conference Scholarship Winners for 2012
- Bernard Vavrek Scholarship: Juliette L. Elmore, Student, Clarion University and Library Director, Oakland City-Columbia Township Public Library, Indiana—Read Juliette’s blog post »
- Founders Scholarship: Hope Decker, Cohocton Public Library, New York—Read Hope’s blog post »
- Ken Davenport Scholarship: Kate Skinner, Library Manager, Chewelah Public Library, Washington—Read Kate’s blog post»
ARSL Conference Scholarship Winners for 2011
- Bernard Vavrek Scholarship: Jeff D. Saunders, Tallahassee, FL
- Founders Scholarship: Jennifer Riordan, Kings County Library, Handford, CA
- Ken Davenport Scholarship: Angela Glowcheski, Lumpkin County Library, Dawsonville, Georgia
ARSL Conference Scholarship Winners for 2010
- Bernard Vavrek Scholarship: Cindy Stewart Grant, Student at Missouri University and Director at Mound City Public Library
- Founders Scholarship: Joan Pellikka, Consultant Librarian at North Country Library System, Watertown, NY
- Ken Davenport Scholarship: Beth Porter, Director at Heyworth Public Library, Heyworth, IL