Association for Rural & Small Libraries
Board of Directors Meeting
Wednesday, July 20, 2016
10:30-12:00 Central Time
Present Susan Hughes, Judy Calhoun , Becky Heil, Ryan Deery, Clancy Poole, Donna Brice, Mary Soucie, Vicki Bartz, Kevin Tomlinson, Linda Green, Jennifer Pearson, Kieran Hixon, Jet Kofoot, Julie Elmore, Meredith, Carolyn Petersen, Cara Oban, Jenniffer Stephenson, Kathy Pape, ktroutman, Jeff 02
Meeting Location: https://zoom.us/j/5191725772
WELCOME AND CALL TO ORDER BY JET KOFOOT President
- CONSENT AGENDA President
- Approve Minutes of May 18, 2016 **
- Current Financial Statement
- Marketing and Communications Committee Report **
- Conference Planning Committee Report **
- Partnerships Committee Report **
- Membership Development Committee Report
- Governance Committee Report
- Finance Committee Report: pulled and tabled for next meeting as not yet received from AMR office. Will be presented at Executive meeting in August.
Vicki made a motion to approve consent agenda, Ryan seconded. Motion carried.
- VERBAL COMMITTEE REPORTS IF PULLED FROM CONSENT AGENDA Committee Chairs
PRESIDENT’S REPORT President
- Executive Committee meeting report
- Space institute grant was not approved
- 990 was filed and audit completed. Assumption is that there are no irregularities and will be presented for approval at next meeting.
- Executive Committee meeting report
- Trip to DC for IMLS award for gold medal presentations was wonderful experience. Libraries are doing very inspirational
RATIFY RESULTS FROM ONLINE VOTING
- Dawson Media National Endowment Humanities grant passed with 13 yes votes.
- Grant not funded. Discussion centered on procedural questions. Conclusion: When a time sensitive motion needs to be discussed, the President will present it as a motion, have another board member second it before it ever goes out to the ARSL board list for discussion.
- Collaboration with Web Junction- Jennifer from Webjunction sat in with committee discussed possibilities for ARSL memberships to engage without having to physically attend. Kicked around options for virtual opportunites. Group will do with test group and then open it up to broader membership. Becky shared that the max for the Zoom room is 50. Ryan Jenniffer S., Mary, Jennifer P. Kieran, Linda G. supported topic based round tables. Good services for members. Ask to sign up so everyone can discuss.
- IMLS/OCLC Small Libraries Create Smart Spaces grant
OCLC has just awarded this grant through IMLS. This is a huge opportunity for small libraries. OCLC asked Jennifer P to act as ARSL liaison because she used to work for OCLC. The intent of the grant is for library staff to learn how to reconfigure small space to create more opportunity for community engagement. Opportunity to discuss space planning with professionals. The grants intends to create space around active learning. There may be grant opportunities which would provide a consultant to libraries which win grant. ARSL liaison would help select participating libraries, and raise awareness. Board has already voted to participate in this. We now need to approve a Memorandum of Understanding. (MOU) MOU will be in Dropbox. A survey monkey will be done for everyone to vote in the near future.
- Cost benefit analysis-Membership this report going to Executive committee first at August
- Election results- Vicki Bartz new President elect, Kieran Hixon, Linda Green, Meredith Wickham, Kathy Paper Low vote numbers. More participation needs to be encouraged.
- Emerging Leader: Shirley VonderHaar working on this issue. Timeline coming up soon.
- Weather/Disaster Insurance: discussion followed. The policies gave rather vague definitions about how bad “adverse” conditions would need to before the policy would pay out. This is conference expense. Get questions answered by executive and finance to advise to conference committee. Jet will clarify questions with Sara.
- Motion to approve up to $1,000 to be spent by conference committee for weather related insurance Julie made the and Susan seconded.
- Member Rate Exchange for Mid-America Library Alliance make a motion to decline offer as the costs exceeded the benefits.
- Clancy moved to decline offer. Julie seconded and motion carried.
- Vernon Office Supply Discount. Promote discount offer through listserv and on the website.
- Motion to approve made by Mary, Julie seconded. Motion carries
- Fargo: 194 registered as of Monday. Hotel is close to full. 31 rooms left for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. 36 signed up for Preconferences. Vendors 7 regular and 4 nonprofits. Only Saturday breakfast is uncovered by sponsors. Five ads in conference brochure. Holiday Inn Express will be our breakout hotel. 109. 25 tee-shirts sold so far. Independent bookseller set up.
- Utah—Becky working with group from Utah. Group of six folks state libraries and local libraries. Met twice still considering conference in St. George but has to work . Hotel investigating in Layton, look at hotel in Salt Lake as well. Recommendation will go to Executive board
- Illinois—Julie checked out Springfield hotels and met with Illinois state library officials. Have meeting rooms and can use them for preconference if hotel. Indiana State Library will host Indiana author for conference.
PUBLIC COMMENT Welcome Kathy and Meredith to board!
Time of Next Meeting – Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:30-12:00 Central Time
ADJOURN BOARD MEETING motion to adjourn. Ryan made the motion Judy seconded and it carried meeting adjourned 11.47 central time.
** Posted in DROP BOX