Association for Rural & Small Libraries
Board of Directors Meeting
Wednesday, September 21, 2016
10:30-12:00 Central Time
Meeting Location: https://zoom.us/j/5191725772
Julie Elmore, Clancy Poole, Linda Green, Kieran Hixon, Judy Calhoun, Jet Kofoot, Kevin Tomlinson, Kathy Pape, Vicki Bartz, Susan Hughes, Mary Soucie, Jenniffer Stephenson and Cara Moban, a visitor
WELCOME AND CALL TO ORDER BY JET KOFOOT 10:32 Central time – President
CONSENT AGENDA – President
Motion to approve consent agenda
- Approve Minutes of July 20, 2016 **
- Current Financial Statement (discussion on why membership renewal rate so late. Discussion revolved around when renewal comes per the conference
- Marketing and Communications Committee Report **
- Conference Planning Committee Report **
- Partnerships Committee Report
- Membership Development Committee Report
- Governance Committee Report
- Finance Committee Report
Judy moved and Julie seconded to approve consent agenda. Motion carries.
- Let the minutes show that our hearts are with Kieran and Liz. The Board hopes for peace for Hixon family.
- Let the minutes also reflect that the ARSL board appreciates everything Becky has done to assist the Board in its work.
VERBAL COMMITTEE REPORTS IF PULLED FROM CONSENT AGENDA – Committee Chairs
PRESIDENT’S REPORT – President
- Executive Committee meeting report— The Board voted to share mailing list with libraries transform project they wanted to send everyone a mail.
- The Board declined the offer from Patron X to participate in a study on broadband access.
- A group is working on procedure for ALA’s Emerging Leader process.
- ARSL received a payment of $73 and change from Amazon smile.
- TEI scholarship winner unable to come from conference. Carolyn will contact Shirley to reconvene committee and select new person. Julie shared idea for standard Facebook contest if committee can’t reconvene quickly.
- Ryan Deering will serve as the ARSL representative for ALA diversity outreach committee. Please be thinking about volunteering to replace him. Jet will send out information about what the time commitment involves. ARSL needs to be connected to this ALA committee.
- AMR, our current management firm, has decided to terminate our contract as they can’t afford to keep us as a client. AMR will provide transition information and they have made suggestions of organization management groups to contact. Contract ends in December. ARSL needs to move on this issue right away.
Judy made a motion to create an ad hoc committee to work on this process of obtaining a new management committee. Mary seconded it.
Discussion: Judy recommended that Susan Bartz, Jennifer Pearson, Kevin Tomlinson, Donna Brice serve. It was recommended that the group seek input from Tena Hanson and Andrea Berstler as conference chairs. Kieran willing to look into website solutions. NDLA website solutions for online registrations. Mary was willing to serve on committee
- Guidelines for working together ** Judy has a few things needed to be changed. She has put them in Dropbox.
Mary made a motion which Julie seconded to approve changes to guidelines for working together as board. Motion passed.
- IMLS authorization up for reauthorization. Cal put ARSL down as supporting ARSL
Mary made a motion which Kieran seconded to have ARSL support the reauthorization of LSTA. Motion carried
- Cost benefit analysis of offering members a discount if they renewed their membership for multiple. The Membership development group advised against this discount because study showed that it would cost the organization too much money at this point in time.
- The Board voted to endorse Dawson Media National Endowment Humanities grant with 13 yes votes.
- Fargo-Vicki requests AV help in form of volunteers. Fargo conference is on track. They cancelled two tours and individuals who wish to take these tours can do so on their own. Preconference doing well. 484 registered for conference. Yes, in response to a question the Board is going forward with Insurance regarding weather.
- Utah-2017 Jet sent email with updates to UTAL conference updates.
“Not competing in merchandise.” That’s a problem that needs to be solved as one of our vendors sells library related tee shirts and sleeping apparel
Jenniffer Stephenson made a motion that the approval of the Utah conference center contract be tabled until AFTER the contract is updated. Carolyn seconded it. Once the contracts questions are answered the Board will vote electronically.
(The Utah contract was approved by electronic vote after further discussion.)
Telephone conference with State Library and State association. Might not be able to have MOU with State Library as they don’t yet have a State Librarian, but will have one with State Library association. State Library can do some in-house printing. Both organizations planning to provide scholarships for Utah folks to attend.
- Springfield- 2018 ** Julie recommended the Doubletree Hilton and conference center. All rooms free based on booking hotel rooms. Best one for location, conference all on one floor. Great for dine arounds. Soften cancellation rate. MOU with state: Illinois State Library both State Librarian and deputy state librarian resigned. MOU not signed up after the election when they are more likely. State Library will let us have welcome reception and free room for preconference session. September 11th through 16th. Motion to approve contract for 2018. Vicki made motion to approve and Judy seconded. Motion carries. Event planner bonus: ARSL can’t accept bonus points.
- Discussion of vendor payment. Review of what we are giving our vendors. Getting meals and registration for two people. Judy will consult with conference logistics committee. Kieran volunteered to be on the committee.
PUBLIC COMMENT Susan compared last year’s budget with this year’s income. They look comparable. Thanks for all contributions of Donna and Carolyn as retiring board members.
Time of Next Meeting – Fargo Saturday, October 29 Strategic Planning and Sunday, October 30-regular board meeting.ADJOURN BOARD MEETING
Susan and Jennifer Stephenson made a motion to adjourn. motion carries
** Posted in DROP BOX Check in with
Apologies – I have to go to another meeting and will probably miss my agenda item. I am going to leave a summary of our proposal in the chat. Jet has received additional details about the project in an earlier email.
The purpose of the IMLS/NYPL LEAP project is to build a new national digital platform and content marketplace for libraries, by libraries, that will help us better serve e-content to our patrons. Montana State Library has staff resources to devote to this project and the support of our State Librarian, Jennie Stapp, but moreover, we would like to bring a larger perspective to the table that represents rural and small libraries beyond our borders. So, to this end, Montana State Library, as an ARSL institutional member, would like to serve as a liaison to the ARSL board or appropriate committee and the ARSL membership on this project in order to help share and collect information to and from small and rural libraries that will ensure their needs and perspectives are considered as this project develops. The LEAP group will meet in person in December, and we are seeking ARSL’s approval to establish this relationship in advance of that meeting. Please contact me if you have questions.