Association for Rural & Small Libraries
Executive Committee Meeting
MINUTES for meeting held Wednesday, October 18, 2017
10:30am Central Time
VIA ZOOM https://zoom.us/j/3426520446
I. WELCOME AND CALL TO ORDER BY HIXON at 10:30am
President Kieran Hixon called the meeting to order at 10:37am. Board members in attendance were; Judy Calhoun, Clancy Pool, Kathy Zappitello, and Lisa Lewis (arrived late)
II. Approve minutes of August meeting
Calhoun moved to approve, second by Pool. All ayes, motion carried.
III. President’s Report
a. Programming Librarian webinar sponsoring
ALA would like our permission to use ARSL logo and market webinars. President Hixon said yes and suggested a short video commercial about ARSL before each presentation.
b. RIPL is awarding 20 scholarships for rural AND small libraries. Only 3500 libraries meet their qualifications. Hixon will be work on a better definition for our partners in these grants.
c. Two ALA divisions would like a representative from ARSL. Hixon will assign these positions.
IV. Treasurer’s Report
a. Pool discussed future budgeting considerations which include: estimating $50,000 conference profit each year, scholarship line item needs to be added and better defined, Treeline is looking into investment plan for ARSL consideration, non-board travel line item (for Partnership representatives).
b. Pool also indicated that the process of moving from a working board to a governing board will be difficult to budget until RFP is complete.
c. Pool will also be looking communicating with finance committee and will approach potential candidates possibly assist in addition to having a board liaison to this committee.
V. Old Business
a. Directors’ and Officers’ insurance
Lewis moved to obtain and to pay for D&O insurance every year, second by Calhoun. All ayes, motion carried.
b. Conference Logistics – Procedures-2019 Conference chair appointment
Discussion ensured pertaining to general conference logistics. Hixon will reach out to potential 2019 Conference Chairs from our membership but board members will continue to act as liaisons and event planners. Hixon will review organizational chart and revise as necessary.
VI. New Business
a. Discussion of Ad Hoc committee (Governing Board Transition) next steps
Timeline was reviewed and committee will send out RFP to compiled list of consultants.
Hixon will reach out to the Membership and Marketing committee to begin working on the message to our membership.
b. Ex Officio board member discussion
Reviewed by-laws wording for ex officio position as it pertains to title, power, and job descriptions.
c. Treeline – Scope of work, coming to conference
Hixon will be meeting with Treeline and will make recommendations once information is obtained.
d. Relationship with EveryLibrary – Change for the Advocacy committee
Hixon will extend membership in place of what is owed to them for 2017 pre-conference and connect them with our Advocacy committee.
VII. Preparation needed for November 2017 Board Meeting
Hixon will send out meeting reminder, and look into solution for Dropbox.
VIII. Next Steps – Who, what, when
Hixon asked secretary Zappitello to review meeting notes and action items.
IX. Time of Next Meeting
December 20, 2017 at 10:30 Central Time