PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION: Position is responsible for supervising Circulation Desk activities and staff; work varies little, individual judgment within established standards and procedures may be required. Position is full time, year round with minimum of 40 hours per week. Some nights and weekends may be required. ACCOUNTABLE TO: Library Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Physical requirements include sitting, walking, standing, bending, stooping, climbing ladders, and lifting up to 35#s (greater with assistance). The position requires extensive close work (eyestrain), extensive PC monitoring, on-call status and some travel to meetings. Work is performed in a controllable atmosphere, which may become noisy at times due to library programs. There may be some exposure to angry or hostile individuals. Responsible for referring accounts to the collection agency.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND PERFORMANCE:
• Assists the Library Director with training and scheduling employees who are assigned to the circulation desk.
• Assists the Library Director in writing and implementing library policies and procedures that reflect circulation desk duties.
• Oversees the work of employees on the circulation desk, checking for accuracy and that work is completed in compliance with library policies and procedures.
• Makes daily decisions on circulation issues and informs the Library Director when issues arise.
• Has knowledge of the library’s circulation software (integrated library system/ILS) and is the primary person for patron record data.
• Educate patrons and monitor their use of the Internet, electronic full-text databases, and/or word processing; Assist patrons with the use of microfilm reader/scanner/printer, photocopier and other electronic machines; etc.
• Routinely responds to patron inquiries and resolves patron concern, practicing excellence in customer service.
• Conduct a variety of duties at the Circulation Desk to include: loaning/returning of library materials through use of automated circulation system; monetary transactions, book reserves, shelf maintenance, data inputting, telephone monitoring, material order preparations, cataloging of library materials, processing of library materials, and other duties as necessary and assigned by supervisor.
• Maintain the newspaper and periodical collection, which includes entering data into ILS, keeping abreast of publication patterns, adding issues to the collection, circulation of periodicals, withdrawal of issues and running claims reports.
• Oversee the overdue materials, which include notifying patrons, collecting fines and fees, and referring accounts to a collection agency.
• Communicate any unsafe conditions or accidents / injuries in a timely manner to supervisor in order to facilitate prompt correction or reporting.
• Maintains and promotes the characteristics of excellent customer service in assigned area.
• Keeps complete and accurate statistical records on division operations. Supplies accurate reports to administration as scheduled or requested.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: This is a front-line position for providing excellent customer service to members of the general public and other City employees. Personal contact occurs with other employees of the Library, employees of other City departments, and the public. Service is provided in person, by mail, by electronic mail, or by telephone contact.
EXAMPLES OF PERFORMANCE CRITERIA AND QUALIFICATIONS: Maintains a cordial relationship with the public and assists in the effective use of library resources. Maintains a good working relationship with circulation desk staff. Suggests changes to library policy and procedures that effect circulation desk services.
SUPERVISION – RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS: Frontline manager for circulation desk, helping the Library Director with scheduling and training of circulation staff.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Library Science required, MLS preferred; Knowledge of library services. Must have at least three years of experience with Integrated Library System software or a combination of education and experience may be acceptable.
Huron is a city in Beadle County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 13,097 (county population 18,080). The community is a mixture of industry and agricultural businesses. It is a diverse community with nine different languages being spoken. The main languages are English, Spanish, German and Karen. Job Closing Date: 04/12/2017.
Wage: $14.43 – $17.27 per hour DOQ. Applications Available: Online: www.huronsd.com, select “City Government” tab, then “City Employment”
City Finance Office, 239 Wisconsin Ave SW, P.O. Box 1369, 353-8505
S.D. Dept of Labor – Huron Office, 2361 Dakota Ave South, 353-7155
City Library – 521 Dakota Avenue South, 353-8530
George Merkel, P.O. Box 226, Huron, SD 57350, 352-4226. Equal Opportunity Employer