Association for Rural and Small Libraries Board of Directors Meeting
Friday, March 23, 2012, 8:30 PT; 9:30 MT; 10:30 CT; 11:30 ET
AGENDA (APPROVED MINUTES BELOW)
I. Welcome and Call to Order
Becky Heil, President
II. Consent Agenda
- Approve Minutes of January 5, 2012 Louise Greene, Secretary
- Current Financial Statements Lesley Boughton, Treasurer
III. President’s Report
- Appointment of Nominating Committee Chair
- Potential Member Survey
- Rural Telcom Conference – Board Attendance
IV. Executive Committee Report
- Policy Requests from AMR
- ARSL Audit Recommendation – Baseline audit this year; every 3 years after that
- Audit Quotes
- Working on a Conference Partner MOU that could be customized each year
- Co-Chairs for 2013 Conference in Iowa
V. Treasurer’s Report
- Final Report as of 12/31/11
VI. Conference Update
Andrea Berstler, Chair
- Conference Program
- Keynote Speakers Update
VII. Partnerships Committee
Sonja Plummer-Morgan, Chair
- Update on Gates Foundation Proposal
- Update on NSF Project & ALA Program Committee Larry Grieco
VIII. Member Services Committee
Jennifer Peterson, Chair
- Website Refresh
- March Newsletter (will be broadcast by March 20), next newsletter in June.
- March 27: Adult Programs on a $0 Budget with Joey Holmes, Laurens Co Library, SC
- June 7: Marketing the Rural Library with Melinda Tanner and Michelle McIntyre, PA
- September 11: Best Small Library 2012 with Library Journal and Julie Hildebrand, Library Director, Independence Public Library, KS
- December: Community Outreach Plans with the PEARL Project, Barbara Blake and Louise Greene
- ALA Sessions
- Midwinter report
- Annual sessions
IX. Membership Development Committee
Tena Hanson, Chair
X. Policy Committee
Paul Healey, Chair
- Board Policy on Travel to meetings/conferences other than ARSL’s
XI. New Business
XII. PUBLIC COMMENT
Respectfully submitted by Louise Greene, secretary
Opening: The meeting of the Board of Directors of the Association of Rural and Small Libraries was called to order at 8:30 a.m. Pacific; 9:30 a.m. Mountain; 10:30 a.m. Central; 11:30 a.m. Eastern on March 23, 2012, through WebEx by Becky Heil, President.
Present: Andrea Berstler, Donna Brice, Louise Greene, Tena Hanson, Becky Heil, Paul Healey, Carla Lehn, Jennifer Peterson, Steve Seale, Lorie Womack
Absent: Dwight McInvaill, Sonja Plummer-Morgan, Larry Greico, Sharon Michie, Lesley Boughton, Alison Miller
Quorum Present: Yes
Others Present: none
Current financial statements were presented and approved.
Sonja Plummer-Morgan will head the Nominating Committee for board members. A member survey was discussed. The board agreed to wait until there was more information about a consultant in the Gates Foundation grant. The Gates Foundation representative recommended ARSL presence at the Rural Telecom conference; the board agreed to wait due to the financial picture.
Executive Committee Report
AMR requested numerous policies be created. The board agreed to map current policies with a list of priorities for new policies. AMR recommended a baseline audit this fiscal year with an audit every three years following. The board agreed to postpone audit quotes until the tax attorney reviewed financials for the IRS and 501c3 status. A standardized Conference Partner MOU is being created that meets ARSL conference policies. The co-chairs for 2013 Conference in Iowa will be Tena Hanson and Becky Heil.
The final Treasurer’s report as of 12.31.11 was approved.
Conference programs for Raleigh have been selected, pre-conferences are being lined up; pricing and registration form are in progress; $220 has been set for the early bird member rate. The keynote speaker will be Susan Hildreth.
The 501c3 status is still pending. The ARSL website will link to the UNT PEARL Project. Lesley Boughton will be the guest speaker at the Texas Library Association conference PEARL program where PEARL rural librarians will be in attendance.
Member Services Committee
The ARSL webpage refresh was successful. Additional adjustments are planned for features and content.
Newsletter statistics are being provided by Constant Contact. Webinars are scheduled as follows: March 27: Adult Programs on a $0 Budget with Joey Holmes, Laurens Co Library, SC; June 7: Marketing the Rural Library with Melinda Tanner and Michelle McIntyre; September: Best Small Library 2012 with Library Journal and Julie Hildebrand, Library Director, Independence Public Library (KS); December: Community Outreach Plans with the PEARL Project, Barbara Blake and Louise Greene.
The ALA Midwinter program content was interactive; content centered on rural library leadership. The ALA Annual program has been set. ARSL brochures and ribbons are available and are being sent to state library association meetings.
Membership Development Committee
There are currently 402 ARSL members.
State key contacts spots are still being filled.
Brochures and ribbons are being ordered for distribution.
The Board Policy on Travel to meetings/conferences other than ARSL was amended to coincide with audit requirements and approved.
No new business.
PUBLIC COMMENT: none
The meeting adjourned at 11:45 a.m. Central.
See also Board Minutes Archive