Board Meeting Minutes
I. Call to Order
The October board meeting was called to order by President Judy Calhoun at 10:00 a.m. on October 30, 2016, in Fargo, North Dakota, with Kevin Tomlinson recording.
Quorum in attendance: Vicki Bartz, Judy Calhoun, Ryan Deery, Julie Elmore, Linda Green, Becky Heil, Kieran Hixon, Susan Hughes, Jet Kofoot, Carla Lehn, Jennifer Pearson, Clancy Pool, Mary Soucie, Jenniffer Stephenson, Kevin Tomlinson, Meredith Wickham, Kathy Zappitello
II. Election of Officers
- Julie Elmore nominated Kevin Tomlinson to serve as Secretary. Jenniffer Stephenson seconded. Tomlinson was duly elected secretary.
- Susan Hughes was nominated by Judy Calhoun to serve as treasurer. Mary Soucie seconded. Hughes was duly elected treasurer.
III. Consent Agenda
- Approve minutes of September 21, 2016 meeting.
- Current Financial Statement
- Marketing and Communications Committee report
- Conference Planning Committee report
- Partnerships Committee report
- Membership Development Committee report
- Governance Committee report
- Finance Committee report
- Mary Soucie moved to approve the consent agenda. Ryan Deery seconded the motion. Approved unanimously.
IV. Results of Online Voting
No action required.
V. President’s Report
- President Judy Calhoun asked that the Board commit to reading How We Work Together as a Board.
- There was no Executive Committee report.
- Clancy Pool requested a single list with board members’ work and personal telephone numbers and also that these telephone numbers be removed from ARSL’s Web site.
- Judy asked the board to take note of the cheat sheets she has created for the Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure (formerly known as the Sturgis Code of Parliamentary Procedure by Alice Sturgis).
VI. Old Business
- AMR Transition Committee report. The ad hoc committee has submitted an RFP. Proposals are due no later than November 4, 2016. They have received one proposal to date and are expecting at least one more. February 1, 2017 is the expected transition date for the new management company, once it has been chosen. AMR is willing to stay with ARSL until the end of February if necessary. The initial screening of companies submitting proposals will take place November 5th through 15th, 2016.
- Online voting procedures. Mary Soucie requested that the Governance Committee revisit online voting in the Bylaws and suggest changes so that the President is not the only one who can propose an electronic vote. The online voting procedures should specify how often the Survey Monkey password needs to be changed and by whom. Question was tabled.
VII. New Business
- New organizational chart. Linda Green is the new chair of the Governance Committee. Vicki Bartz, Julie Elmore, and Jeff Lower are co-chairs for the 2017 Conference in St. George, Utah. Kieran Hixon moved to create a job description for the Webmaster and make it equal to the Administrative Assistant but subordinate to the Executive Committee. Julie Elmore seconded. Mary Soucie moved to adopt the new organizational chart as presented at today’s meeting. Seconded by Ryan Deery. Motion failed to pass. Some members voiced the opinion that the Conference Committee should report to the Board, not to the Conference Logistics Committee. Issue tabled until December 21.
- Conference Logistics Committee. Kieran Hixon has agreed to chair this committee. Work plan now in Dropbox.
- Revised Conference Policy. Jenniffer Stephenson moti0ned to approve the unified Conference Policy through page 6. Seconded by Vicki Bartz. Motion passed. Mary Soucie opposed on the grounds that forms should not be part of policy. Kieran Hixon moved that the board no longer award complimentary conference registration in any form as blanket payment for all conference presenters, but instead make financial aid, including conference registration, a possibility for presenters. Julie Elmore seconded. Motion passed with two abstentions.
- Revised Copyright Policy. The Presenter Agreement Form was sent back to the Governance Committee for revision to be voted on at the December 21, 2016 board meeting.
VIII. Committees Meet
Discussion of budget needs. The Treasurer will contact committee chairs within a month regarding each committee’s budget needs, so that a draft budget can be shared at the next Board meeting.
IX. Public Comment
X. Time of Next Meeting
Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 10:30 to 12:00 noon CST.
XI. Adjourn Board Meeting
Meeting adjourned at 1:03 p.m.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Kevin Tomlinson, Secretary, ARSL.
– End of Document –