The Southwest Kansas Library System/SWKLS is seeking a service-oriented individual to fill the position of Technology Consultant. SWKLS is located in Dodge City, Kansas and serves a 21-county area. Reports to: System Director. FLSA: Non-Exempt position. Status: Full Time (40 hours/wk).
• Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision
• Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and peers throughout the state
• Work effectively as a team contributor
• Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for coordinating technology planning and service provision including oversight of E-rate, technology plans, library automation and technology-related procurement. Travel to member libraries is integral to this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide technical support, consulting, and training for member libraries in areas of library automation, and assist with general technical support on-site and via phone and remote access.
2. Plan and coordinate technology projects both in-house and on-site
3. Assist with the coordination and presentation of technology training for member libraries and System staff.
4. Serve as advocate for the Southwest Kansas Library System in statewide library automation activities.
5. Participate in System planning and staff development.
6. Attend technology consultant meetings and others as necessary
7. Manage software and hardware procurement for the System and member libraries.
8. Assist in the preparation of funding applications including E-rate.
9. Assist member libraries with technology planning.
10. Crosstrain with System Administrator
11. Assist in the preparation of budgets and cost estimates.
OTHER DUTIES: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time.
SKILLS AND COMPENTICIES:
1. Strategic Thinking
Recognize future trends and appropriately revise or create services and programs
- Customer Focus Work with a positive, service oriented attitude, focused on current and future customer needs
- Leadership Lead the tech team to outstanding service while leading the organization to better tech solutions, programs, and services
- Problem Solving Recognize patterns, consider risks, and use sound judgement to identify, solve, and prevent problems
- Decision Making Gather, utilize, and interpret relative information to make informed decisions
- Financial Management Successfully manage budget allocations, grant-funded projects, and tech- related customer services.
- Presentation Skills Inform and educate small and large groups through a variety of presentation methods including online and in-person.
- Communication Convey and receive information effectively in writing and when speaking, keeping staff, customers, and stakeholders apprised of technology services and programs
- Dependability Take appropriate action to meet goals, schedules, and demands while accepting responsibility for actions, results, and risks
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILTY: None
DECISION MAKING: Budget and programming decisions must be made in communication with the System Director.
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK: Regular hours are M-F, 8:00am-5:00pm; Flex time and/or comp time may be applied if travel disrupts regular hours.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS: The physical demands to perform this job are the ability to talk and hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects or controls, stand, sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and office equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to focus.
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. A bachelor’s degree in computer science, data communications, information systems, or a mathematics degree with computer emphasis or related field and three (3) years full-time, hands-on administrative experience in a LAN/WAN environment is required. A combination of an associate degree in a related field and six (6) years full-time relevant work experience may be considered. Previous experience with PC and network software applications is required.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and ongoing activities simultaneously.
- Experience in developing and presenting workshops and one-on-one training.
- Knowledge and familiarity with Windows, Internet, LAN design and administration, telecommunications, and technology planning issues. Proficiency in Microsoft Office is required.
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers and member libraries.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and utilize proper channels of communication.
- Demonstrated consulting experience.
- Ability to operate a vehicle, hold a valid personal driver’s license, and have access to reliable transportation.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Two (2) years of library experience and demonstrated budgeting and planning experience
Three to five years of experience with library automation software, use and installation
SPECIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS Use of personal vehicle and frequent travel, including some overnight travel, is required.
SELECTION GUIDELINES: Resume or written application, oral interview, reference check, and job related tests as required by the System Director.
APPLICATION: For further information contact Emily Sitz at 620-225-1231 or firstname.lastname@example.org. A full job description can be viewed at swkls.org. To start the application process, send a cover letter and resume to Tandy Ritchhart at email@example.com. The position is open until filled. The Southwest Kansas Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.