Association for Rural & Small Libraries
Board of Directors Meeting
Wednesday, November 15, 2017
10:30-12:00 Central Time
Meeting Location: https://zoom.us/j/5191725772
- WELCOME AND CALL TO ORDER BY Kieran Hixon
President Hixon called the meeting to order at 10:36am. Board members in attendance were; Judy Calhoun, Clancy Pool, Jennifer Pearson, Julie Elmore, Mary Soucie, Lisa Lewis, Jennie Garner, Kathy Zappitello, Ryan Deery, Jane Somerville, Aimee Newberry and Becky Heil, ex-officio.
- Introduction of new board member: Aimee Newberry
- CONSENT AGENDA
Soucie moved to accept the Consent Agenda as presented, second by Deery. All ayes, motion carried.
- Approve Minutes of September 2017 **
- Current Financial Statement **
- Marketing and Communications Committee Report
- Conference Planning Committee Report **
- Partnerships Committee Report
- Membership Development Committee Report
- Governance Committee Report
- Finance Committee Report **
- VERBAL COMMITTEE REPORTS IF PULLED FROM CONSENT AGENDA
- RESULTS OF ONLINE VOTING
- The refund
Pool moved, second by Wickham to refund the following:
- Charlotte Trosclair- Hurricane Harvey victim and a family medical emergency with her daughter. Request sent Sept 1; Full refund because of extraordinary conditions.
Patti Greibrok- Wrist surgery. Request sent Aug 28 Refund minus cost of meals and $25 processing fee. paid $325 – 109 = $216
3. Denise Harders- Change in her personal schedule. Sent request on Aug 29. Refund minus cost of meals and $25 processing fee. $266 – 109 = $157
15 voted yes, unanimous.
- Revision of ARSL By-Laws
Calhoun reported that 233 members voted. 215 FOR, 5 AGAINST, 13 ABSTAIN
- 2018 Budget discussions
(Pool has to leave early so this has been moved up from New Business)
Pool reported that the final budget will be presented for approval in January 2018. Pool also communicated the need for a Bad Debt policy. Calhoun moved to set the following parameters to settle amounts considered to be “bad debts”; Under $100, treasurer may forgive, $101-$500 must be presented to ARSL President and Treasurer to approve, and over $500 bad debts must be presented to ARSL Board for approval. Garner second. All ayes, motion carried.
Soucie commended Pool on her extraordinary ability to disseminate financial information to the Board and thanked her for her hard work.
Pool left the meeting at 10:50am.
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT
- Executive Committee meeting report – Zappitello reported on the Executive Committee meeting and will attach those meeting minutes to future agendas.
- ODLOS Rep – Lewis volunteered
- Hixon shared information on meeting with Treeline and asked Board to send him priority suggestions for Treeline.
- Lewis and Hixon will attend ALA Mid-Winter in Denver
- Soucie and Hixon reported on Advocacy Committee and on-going communication with EveryLibrary.
- OLD BUSINESS
- Update on Governing Board Transition RFP
Lewis reported that the RFP is out and has a deadline of December 7th
- Approve new Organizational Chart**
Hixon reviewed changes to the updated Organizational Chart that includes Heil as non-voting ex-officio, Advocate committee, Benefit subcommittee, and 2019 conference chairs and event planners. Lewis moved to accept chart. Second by Elmore. All ayes, motion carried.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Oklahoma State National Science Foundation grant proposal-Requesting ARSL to partner for public library drought training
After much discussion, Hixon stated that he will send this request to the Partnership committee for their review and recommendation.
- Website review
Hixon reminded Board that it is everyone’s responsibility to check our website to ensure accurate information. Corrections or changes must be given to the webmaster or individuals may request training.
- Change of “Electronic Discussion List” policy **
Soucie moved to accept the policy. Second by Calhoun. Discussion ensued. Soucie and Calhoun rescinded motion.
Membership and Marketing committee will draft another version of policy and send to Governance for further review.
- Soucie is the representative for both ARSL and MPLA and would like to explore a more cohesive partnership between the two organizations and asked if there could also be a partnership with MI for the rural conference in 2022. Deery said he talked with the MI Librarian about this as well. Soucie will provide this information to the Conference Logistic Committee for their review.
- Hixon reminded Board to use email and directly contact those committees and individuals as necessary.
- CONFERENCE UPDATES
- Final report-St. George
Elmore reported that an expected profit is approximately $48,000
- Springfield update
Elmore reported keynote speakers were being confirmed, conference price estimates will be updated on website, and call for proposals will be going out.
Discussion ensued regarding speaker agreements.
A motion was made by Calhoun to have Treeline review agreement/policy pertaining to speakers at conference. Second by Soucie. All ayes, motion carried.
Hixon will work with Heil, Soucie, and Green to look at best practices pertaining to this policy.
- PUBLIC COMMENT
Board member Soucie conveyed an inquiry by guest Reynolds about past presentations being available on the website. Hixon noted that because of copyrighted issues with images, the board determined they would no longer be available.
- Time of Next Meeting – Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:30-12:00 Central Time
- ADJOURN BOARD MEETING
Elmore moved to adjourn meeting. Second by Calhoun. All ayes, motion carried.