Association for Rural & Small Libraries
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, May 16th, 2018
11:30-1:00 Eastern Time
10:30-12:00 Central Time
9:30-11:00 Mountain Time
8:30-10:00 Arizona and Pacific Time
- WELCOME AND CALL TO ORDER BY Kieran Hixon
The meeting was called to order by President Hixon. Board members in attendance were: Kathy Zappitello, Hope Decker, Lisa Lewis, Julie Elmore, Jennifer Pearson, Aimee Newberry, Clancy Pool, Meredith Wickham, Ryan Deery, Judy Calhoun, Jenniffer Stevenson, and Becky Heil ex-officio.
- CONSENT AGENDA
Pearson moved to accept the Consent Agendas, second by Lewis. All ayes, motion carried.
- Approve Minutes of March **
- Conference Logistics Committee Report **
- Partnerships Committee Report **
- Governance Committee Report **
- Ad Hoc Committee **
- Nominating Committee Report **
- VERBAL COMMITTEE REPORTS IF PULLED FROM CONSENT AGENDA Committee Chairs
- Membership and Marketing Committee Report Meredith
Wickham reported that an editor has stepped down
- Conference Planning Committee Report Julie
Watching budget for AV and 2nd floor expenses but all will work out. Not tax-exempt in IL. Welcome reception is sold out. Working through waiting list. Gave stats on current attendees.
- Advocacy Committee Report Mary
Soucie unable to attend to give report
- Finance Committee Report Clancy
Complete report in Dropbox. 990 filed. Credit card is still being worked out.
- Current Financial Statement Clancy
Included in these minutes
- RESULTS OF ONLINE VOTING President
- Conference Budget adjustment
All ayes to amend to accommodate more attendees
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT President
- Executive Committee meeting report
Included in these minutes but include: Hixon welcomed Decker. Recapped PLA meet up with ARSL members. Zappitello will reach out to ARSL members soon about IFLA Global Vision.
Hixon presented an ALA resolution to honor African Americans who fought library segregation. Calhoun made a motion to co-sign this resolution, second by Pearson. All Ayes, motion carried.
- OLD BUSINESS
- Tabled from January-Change of Electronic Discussion List policy – Membership and Marketing committee
- Tabled from January-Advocacy Committee Charge
- NEW BUSINESS
- Alternate certification for rural and small library librarians Jennifer
IMLS grant with University of South Carolina (partnership) ARSL name for second round of grant process. Elmore moved to support grant with the addition of ARSL name, second by Zappitello. Eleven ayes, one no vote. Motion carried.
- ALA New Orleans – Affiliates Booth Sign-up Kieran
Wickham will come up with talking points for booth workers and Treeline will send handouts/brochures for booth.
- Conference Board meeting Lisa
ARSL board will meet with consultant on Saturday and hold regular board meeting on Sunday as planned.
- End of Year Committee Reports for Conference Business Meeting Kieran
Hixon asked each committee to submit end of the year reports to be included with packet at conference.
- ALA Outreach poster session Kieran
Wickham offered help from her data/PR department and needs information sent to her to complete this.
- CONFERENCE UPDATE
Covered earlier in meeting
- PUBLIC COMMENT
- NEXT STEPS-WHO WHAT WHEN President
- Time of Next Meeting – Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:30-12:00 Central Time
- ADJOURN BOARD MEETING
Wickham moved to adjourn meeting, second by Deery. All ayes, motion carried.