Association for Rural & Small Libraries
Executive Committee Meeting
Wednesday, April 17, 2019
10:30 a.m. CDT
I. Welcome and Call to Order Lisa Lewis, President
Lisa called meeting to order 10:30 CST
Present: Lisa Lewis, Kieran Hixon, Clancy Pool, Jennie Garner, Jennifer Pearson, and Convener Judy
II. Approve minutes of December meeting
Noted that ARSL 2019 conference sold out in less than hour as of today, April 17, 2019
Calhoun discussed member benefit added to reg early this year and how that worked/didn’t work
Hixon suggested a message – next year it will be a larger venue.
Calhoun said that we have 18 registered vendors in addition to seven sponsors. If we get all
sponsorships will realize a record number of funds from that.
Executive committee members discussed that we should release a statement regarding growth,
positivity, etc. Message will come from Lewis.
Hixon mentioned there is a new app that will streamline registration process and free up reg
volunteers to do more customer service and friendly greeting. Tech to help keep small conference feel
with the growth.
IV. Old Business
V. New Business
a) Group discounts for conference
Lewis said this has been raised on the list. Pearson stated that as long as parameters are in
place and it doesn’t cause any money loss, it’s worth investigating.
Calhoun pointed out this was actually a request for discounted membership such as New
Mexico State Library. Hixon suggested that we look at a level 2 membership for everyone. Lewis
also mentioned that that NM State Library has reached out to her to express interest in
partnering with ARSL to put on a regional conference.
Membership discount discussion – NM would like to purchase for multi-year, large membership
purchase. Pearson suggested that we need to make this an ARSL discount that makes sense for
ARSL as an organization – this is what a group discount is, number of people required, etc.
Lewis asked it this should be a policy. Suggested Kathy Street work with Sarah Wright on policy.
Subcommittee working on RFP for management will have draft ready for board meeting.
Pearson stated that it will be available for review and not to be changed at the meeting.
b) Primary Source @ Conference
Lewis said we are on track for what the board worked on at the retreat in Denver. She asked if
we need Primary Source at the conference meeting. Pearson raised the question as to whether
we need a moderator/facilitator at the meeting. Discussion ensued as to board makeup as it
will look at the meeting held at conference. Official that we will be a governing board and no
longer a working board. Announcement will be made at the membership meeting to review
election process. Pool stated that if we change the election process, we will need to do that at
the membership meeting. Statement that we will have only one seat open despite several
members going off.
Lewis suggested we review Kate’s recommendations so we are prepared before the
conference. It was mentioned that by-laws changes would need to be done by electronic vote
by membership. Lewis would like to discuss via email and then ask Sarah Wright to begin work
to make these changes. Pearson said by-laws should be less specific for the COSLA board
Lewis requested that the executive committee review Kate’s recommendations for the by-laws
following the retreat and offer any suggestions for changes via email to her by May 1, 2019.
Email to include revisions, feedback, or keep as is. Then we’ll call for a membership vote no
later than the end of May to make necessary changes to by-laws. Hixon reviewed voting
timeline for new board officers and members. Noted that there won’t be a vote for any new
board members this year. Pool asked if the call to review Kate’s recommendations should go to
board as a whole to review so Lisa will send to all board.
Lewis asked for a decision about whether Primary Source should be at conference. Pool stated
that Primary Source does not need to be at conference to avoid conflict of interest with the
RFP. Hixon expressed agreement with Pool and suggested we needed a facilitator who is not on
the board. Pearson also agreed and requested that Hixon consider acting as facilitator with
Sharon Morris if she’s available for Saturday meeting. Lewis will tell Kate we don’t need Primary
Source at conference and Hixon will contact Morris to ask if she will help facilitate.
c) Rural, Native, and Tribal Libraries of All Kinds Committee (RNTLOAK)
Lewis got a request from RNTLOAK to have an ARSL member act as a member on their
committee. Jennifer Pearson will reach out to a handful of members from ARSL who are
librarians at tribal libraries. Send Pearson any names to add to this.
VI. Preparation Needed for May Board Meeting Items?
Lewis asked for any additional discussion.
Pool reported that the finance committee was working on reimbursement procedure for board members
traveling to meetings and other members traveling to represent ARSL. It was stated that the procedure should
state everything that can be submitted. Hixon will send Pool the Colorado State Library travel info for per diem
that they use for national travel.
Lewis attended the National Network for Libraries of Medicine. The NNLM is seeking a stronger partnership with
ARSL. She will continue this discussion and bring to the Partnership Committee
Calhoun stated that she will be on vacation for May board meeting.
Lewis adjourned the meeting at 11:30am CST