Responsible for providing professional librarian services including adult/family programming, reference, and technology related services including troubleshooting and tutoring. Essential tasks include planning and organizing programs of
interest to the community; assisting patrons with reference questions, with special attention to using online resources
available through the library; providing support at the circulation desk when necessary; maintaining current professional
knowledge through reading and attending workshops or conferences; other tasks as needed. Some experience or
interest in collection development of both physical and electronic resources, integrated library system and peripheral
applications management, staff development, and website/social media management preferred. Work is performed
under the supervision of the Library Director.
Flexible working hours are required for this full-time position. Must have a vehicle available for work and have a valid NC
driver’s license. Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities • Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of the public library.
• Knowledge of adult literature with some knowledge of children’s and youth literature.
• Thorough knowledge of books, materials, and resources for adults and families.
• Extensive working knowledge of computer applications, resources, and technology utilization
in a library; ability to both troubleshoot and tutor in those applications and resources.
• Ability to plan and coordinate successful programs and services relating to adults and families.
• Ability to assess and assist patrons of all ages and demographic groups.
• Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms.
• Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, volunteers, officials,
community partners, and the general public.
• Ability to adapt and thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment.
• Ability to contribute to a climate of learning and growth for staff and patrons.
Minimum Training and Experience Requirements
Graduation from an accredited professional library school with a Master’s degree in library science and 1-3 years of
experience in library work at the professional level; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
including recent MLIS graduates or those who are nearing completion of the MLIS program. Proficient working
knowledge of technology devices including computers, tablets, smart phones, and applications, as well as digital
resources, and utilization in a library required.
Current minimum of the salary range is $39,240 (Grade 68). Salary is negotiable based on
qualifications. This is a non-exempt position.
Apply online at DavieCountyNC.gov.