Association for Rural & Small Libraries
Board of Directors Meeting
Wednesday, March 21, 2018
10:30-12:00 Central Time
9:30-11:00 Mountain Time
8:30-10:00 Pacific Time
Meeting Location: https://zoom.us/j/5191725772
- WELCOME AND CALL TO ORDER BY Kieran Hixon President
The meeting was called to order by President Hixon at 10:33.
Board members in attendance were: President Hixon, Judy Calhoun, Ryan Deery, Julie Elmore, Jennie Garner, Lisa Lewis, Aimee Newberry, Jennifer Pearson, Clancy Pool, Jane Somerville, Mary Soucie, Jenniffer Stevenson, and Becky Heil, ex-officio.
Also in attendance: Gail Sheldon.
Absent or excused: Meredith Wickham, Kathy Zapitello
- CONSENT AGENDA (all items in Dropbox) President
Lewis moved to accept the Consent Agenda as presented, second by Calhoun. All ayes, motion carried.
- Approve Minutes of January
- Current Financial Statement
- Conference Planning Committee Report
- Conference Logistics Committee Report
- Partnerships Committee Report
- Governance Committee Report
- Finance Committee Report
- Ad Hoc Committee
- Nominating Committee
- VERBAL COMMITTEE REPORTS IF PULLED FROM CONSENT AGENDA Committee Chairs
- Membership and Marketing Committee Report
- Advocacy Committee Report
No report from committee. Hixon reported that the committee had not met yet and he felt the committee could use more members. Hixon also reported ARSL has been invited by COSLA and EveryLibrary to provide a representative for a committee to discuss a coalition on library advocacy at the national level. He also asked for members of the committee to work on providing impact stories from rural libraries.
- RESULTS OF ONLINE VOTING President
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT President
- Executive Committee meeting report
Minutes from the February meeting are in Dropbox.
- IFLA’s Global Vision workshop in Ottawa, Canada
Zapitello will represent ARSL at the IFLA workshop.
- Linda’s replacement
A request for applicants was sent over the listserv, deadline is March 26, and four applications have come in so far.
- PLA-$50 for meetup
There are currently 18 people planning to attend an ARSL meetup at PLA. Hixon suggested they invite folks from ABOS and ODLOS to attend. Money was appropriated from the president’s discretionary fund to provide some shared appetizers.
Hixon and Lewis attended mid-winter and made many connections. They attended a lot of meetings and were well received. IMLS will be sending a representative to Springfield to talk to ARSL members. Elmore will work with Hixon and find space for those conversations.
- OLD BUSINESS
- Tabled from January-Change of Electronic Discussion List policy – Membership and Marketing committee
Due to the absence of Marketing/Membership committee members, this was tabled until next month.
- Tabled from January-Advocacy Committee Charge
Soucie reported this had not been accomplished yet, it would be ready for the next board meeting.
- Follow-up-National Library of Medicine regarding conference scholarships and preconference.
Heil reported she had not communicated with Bobbi Newman (NLM), but she would get something drafted and sent to Hixon for approval.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Ad Hoc – recommendations brought to the board for Consultant Lisa
Lewis reported on the work done by the Ad Hoc Governing committee. They received, read and scored eleven proposals. All were scored based on a rubric created from the requirements of the RFP. The field was narrowed to the top three scores, although a fourth one with high scores was eliminated because the cost was higher than the amount budgeted. The top three were: AssociaDirect (John Chrastka), JM Strategies (Jason Matthews) and Primary Source (Kate Laughlin and others). The complete rubric and the proposals from each of the top three were placed in Dropbox.
Lewis explained the reasons some were eliminated and the pros and cons of each of the three recommended proposals. All three had some form of library experience, which was a plus. Most committee members liked the longer timeline in AssociaDirect’s proposal. It was felt that perhaps the nine month timeline in the Primary Source proposal was a bit ambitious, but the group liked the library background and the fact that they had just completed a similar proposal.
The board then discussed what they saw as the pros and cons of each of the three proposals. Since the board would need to make the final decision, the Ad Hoc committee was polled and their unanimous recommendation was to go with Primary Source. Most board members agreed, although they would like to see if a longer timeline could be considered. The board hoped that even with a longer timeline, the pricing could remain the same. They asked Lewis and the committee to negotiate a contract based on the changes to the proposal.
Soucie moved to approve the ad hoc governing committee to accept the proposal from Primary Source, with a longer timeline. Second by Calhoun. Discussion ensued. Soucie and Calhoun rescinded motion.
Soucie moved to accept the ad hoc committee recommendation and negotiate a contract with Primary Source, to include a longer timeline and a price based on expected travel and new timeline. All ayes, Motion carried.
- Approve Credit Card Policy Clancy
Pool explained that all three financial policies will have written procedures and forms added. Most are already written and have been looked at by the committee, an auditor and Treeline.
Calhoun moved to accept the policy as recommended by the finance committee. Second by Garner. Motion carried.
- Approve audit and investment policy Clancy
Soucie moved to approve both the audit and the investment policies. Second by Elmore. Motion carried.
- ARSL Leadership Institute – plan outline and discussion Kieran
Hixon and Lewis came up with an idea to build ARSL leadership. Hixon explained that perhaps ARSL needs to “grow its own” leaders, in the form of a leadership institute. OCLC / WebJunction would like to become “thought partners” for this idea. Besides helping ARSL, it could also improve the state of rural libraries nationwide.
After discussion, Hixon asked for volunteers to serve on an ad hoc committee to begin discussions about the potential for finding a way to grow leaders for and with small and rural libraries. The committee should consider if there is a need for ARSL to do this, as well as identifying funding and a plan to move forward if warranted. Since nearly everyone offered to be on the committee (Elmore, Lewis, Pearson, Calhoun, Somerville, Stephenson and Soucie) it was determined that Hixon would write a rough outline of the ideas so far and put them into a google document. He asked everyone interested to add to the document, and then he will call a meeting to discuss the ideas put forth.
- CONFERENCE UPDATE
Elmore reported everything was on track for the 2018 conference in Springfield. Registration is set to open April 3. The committee is continuing to meet and written reports are in Dropbox.
Members asked Lewis about board meeting commitments before and/or after conference in order to begin travel plans. Lewis stated it may depend on the consultant’s wishes, so she would let the board know as soon as possible.
- PUBLIC COMMENT
- NEXT STEPS-WHO WHAT WHEN President
- Pearson, on behalf of the advocacy committee will put out a call for stories about library community impact and why rural libraries are important.
- Elmore will follow up with Hixon to find a room during the conference for the IMLS data guy.
- Soucie will follow up and have a draft charge for the Advocacy committee for the next meeting.
- Heil will work with Bobbi (NLM) to write the request for funds for the preconference, to be approved by Hixon.
- The Ad Hoc committee will contact Primary Source to negotiate the terms of a contract. Lewis will wait to contact those whose proposals were not selected, until a contract is imminent. Will report at the exec committee meeting in April.
- Garner will update the “policy book” with the three new policies approved at today’s meeting and ensure they are on the website.
- Hixon will write the outline for the “ARSL Leads” idea and put it into Google Docs, inviting board members to comment, and then call a meeting of those board members who are interested in serving on an ad hoc committee.
- Pearson will send a note to the listserv to bring attention to two reports out this week; an update to OCLC’s 2008 report From Awareness to Funding and IFLA’s report on their Global Vision work.
- Time of Next Meeting – Wednesday, May 16th, 10:30-12:00 Central Time
- ADJOURN BOARD MEETING
As the agenda was complete, Hixon declared the meeting adjourned at 12:03.