Location: Gardiner, Montana (pop. 875)
Reports To: Supervisory Museum Curator
Status: Full-Time / Year-Round
The Research Librarian plays a critical role in the providing reference services at the Heritage Research Center. This position is responsible for cataloging, digitizing, book conservation, and program outreach. The ability to communicate with researchers at all levels is essential. Success in this position requires high-degrees of attention to detail, multitasking, and professionalism, all in a fun and fast paced environment.
- Complete original cataloging, using RDA, of a wide range of materials, such as books, journal articles, dissertations, 16mm films, VHS tapes, DVDs, and ephemera.
- Provide reference services to broad array of researchers (students, scientists, teachers, genealogists, film producers, park staff) on all topics related to the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.
- Perform light conservation treatment (i.e. book repair) and preventive maintenance (i.e. custom storage enclosures) on library holdings.
- Digitize non-copyrighted material and make accessible on-line through sites such as the Montana Memory Project.
- Assist with program outreach by conducting tours of the library to various groups, giving presentations, planning exhibits, and managing the summer Bookmobile.
- Represent Yellowstone Forever and its mission accurately and positively
- Foster a collaborative, team-oriented environment with YF employees, volunteers, and partners
- Travel into Yellowstone, throughout the Greater Yellowstone area and other, as required
- Other tasks as assigned by Supervisory Museum Curator, or other designated leadership
- 2+ years of graduate education or master’s in library science or equivalent graduate degree
- 3+ years of experience as a research librarian
- Experience working with library software such as WorkFlows, Blue Cloud, Libris
- Ability to communicate with and successfully assist a variety of researchers on a wide range of topics
- Ability to work as a team player with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to be flexible in dealing with shifting priorities
- Ability to lift boxes/equipment weighing up to 40 pounds (with support of lift equipment)
- Ability to represent YF in a courteous and professional manner
- This position involves driving YF vehicles, therefore applicants must hold and maintain a valid US driver’s license, and maintain a favorable driving record for insurance purposes
- A satisfactory criminal background check are conditions of employment
- Master’s degree in library science
- 5+ years of professional experience as a research librarian
- Experience managing a library budget and acquisitions program
- Proven ability to quickly learn and apply new systems, processes, and applications
- Self-motivated with a sound approach to problem solving and timely task completion
- Experience creating and managing complex, multi-faceted projects
- Experience working in a non-profit environment
- Knowledge of Yellowstone National Park and the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
This is a full-time, year-round, exempt position based in Gardiner, Montana. Salary is based upon experience, with a range of $32,000 – $46,000. This position qualifies for Yellowstone Forever’s generous benefit package, which includes paid time off, 14 paid holidays, retirement program, medical, dental, vision, short-term-disability, life and AD&D insurance, and other ancillary insurance plans. Yellowstone Forever employees also receive a 30% discount on most Park Stores products and a free Yellowstone Forever Institute Field Seminar each year. Discounts on other courses and products are also offered. Benefits of this position include knowing that your efforts directly benefit Yellowstone National Park and having the opportunity to work in one of the world’s premiere wilderness areas.